Tagging has been added to the gallery

New releases, news, and anything else important.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Tagging has been added to the gallery

Post by MtnViewJohn »

You can now add tags to your uploaded designs, find other designs with the same tag, and view a list of all tags in use. The tag engine (phptagengine) uses AJAX techniques to manipulate tags without page transitions. It also uses Yahoo's auto-completion library to help you use the same tags that other people are using.

I will probably need to have some moderators to tag older designs, merge related tags, and remove obscene tags.

kipling

tags

Post by kipling »

cool - thanks.

kipling

minor bug

Post by kipling »

[quote]HI MVJ
Just playing with tagging, figuring out what works.
A very minor bug: the link from the tag text in the design to the tag query works fine except when you have just entered a tag. e.g. I just entered the tag "texture" onto "Gold". It came up as a link to
http://www.contextfreeart.org/gallery/v ... ag=texture
But now when you go back to the design the link is the correct one
http://www.contextfreeart.org/gallery/v ... ag=texture
Pretty clear what the error here is.
Andrew[/quote] I think I fixed it.

kipling

autocomplete

Post by kipling »

I love the tab-to-autocomplete. Very slick.

kipling

display order

Post by kipling »

I have just noticed that display order of tagged designs seems to have no option other than "reverse order tagged". Maybe the default (or only option) could be "old" order: i.e. oldest to youngest.

kipling

tired!

Post by kipling »

Oh my head ... done too much tagging. Way too much time on this, but once I got started...

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Re: display order

Post by MtnViewJohn »

kipling wrote:I have just noticed that display order of tagged designs seems to have no option other than "reverse order tagged". Maybe the default (or only option) could be "old" order: i.e. oldest to youngest.
The order is by upload date, most recent uploads first. I'll put in some options for ordering the designs.

ETA - OK, try out the ordering capability
Last edited by MtnViewJohn on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Re: tired!

Post by MtnViewJohn »

kipling wrote:Oh my head ... done too much tagging. Way too much time on this, but once I got started...
I forgot to mention that I made you a moderator. Everyone else can only tag their own uploads.

Guigui

Post by Guigui »

Hi MtnViewJohn & Kipling!

Hey, good job again! Can I be a moderator to tag older designs? I'll be pleased to do it. 8^)
8^)

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Guigui wrote:Hi MtnViewJohn & Kipling!

Hey, good job again! Can I be a moderator to tag older designs? I'll be pleased to do it. 8^)
Done!

Guigui

Post by Guigui »

Thanks! Oh, the tag don't support the accents. So the tag moiré is now moir :cry:
8^)

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Guigui wrote:Thanks! Oh, the tag don't support the accents. So the tag moiré is now moir :cry:
Oops. I'm working on a fix for utf-8 character support.

ETA - OK. Accents are now supported and I have fixed the 5 designs with the moir tag. Please be careful to use lowercase accented characters. The PHP that we have on the server does not have the uppercase to lowercase conversion function that is aware of character sets.

kipling

strategy

Post by kipling »

OK - we are getting busy, and the tag list is growing. But now we are probably working at crossed purposes and need to make sure we have a similar tagging strategy.

I was trying to keep tags general so that we had fewer larger categories. For instance I used the tag "writing" on calligraphic, printed, sheet music, and anything that is a written form of communication. Since then a couple of new tags have been introduced that have resulted in re-tagging of designs already tagged.

So we need to agree on a strategy. Do we try to keep the number of tags to a minimum by reassigning them to existing tags, or do we just let them proliferate?

Are there likely to be any tools for moderating tags other than one-by-one editing?

One way to keep the tag categories down to a manageable number (if that is what is intended) is to have a drop-down menu in the CF application that includes a dozen or so common tags, and then an "other ...". But this can wait.

Guigui

Post by Guigui »

I was trying to keep tags general so that we had fewer larger categories…
…So we need to agree on a strategy. Do we try to keep the number of tags to a minimum by reassigning them to existing tags, or do we just let them proliferate?
Hello, Kipling!

I think tags are made to proliferate a bit. Yes, choosing tags that already exists is a good way to make nice collections but as we can put several tags on a design, I believe we should feel free to suggest new ones. Anyway, the tags can be sorted by frequency (Count).

Maybe I should be more temperate when filling tags for older design (last night I quickly did the 500 previous designs). But I tried to use as much as I can the existing tags.

BTW, Kipling, I tried to put together some designs which are looking like 'hand made/grafiti/shodo (the japanese 'way to graph/write') with the idea of movement'. Well, I feel I don't get it an made two tags, 'motion' & 'calligraphic', witch I'm not sure they are good enough (I would have tag more designs with an accurate world). What do you think?
8^)