Hex-ariffic Designs

If you have a design you're proud of, share the cfdg file here. It's also a good place to ask for feedback and collaborate.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

emrainey

Hex-ariffic Designs

Post by emrainey »

I've thrown together some stuff on my site for CFDG. I'm continually amazed by the designs that can be generated by it's simplicity.

http://erik.rainey.name/cfdg/

Chris,
Have you read "A New Kind of Science" by Wolfram? I think you'd see some relation to the autonoma he talks about versus your CFDG. Though, some of the autonoma he talks about are explicitly contextual. I've been thinking about how to design some context free autonoma-like behaviour but it's quite possible that that is a pipe dream.
e.m.rainey

The next remark is false.
The previous remark is true.

David Spitzley

Post by David Spitzley »

Nifty! I'm kind of hoping that Context Free might incorporate a few other geometric shapes at terminal objects akin to CIRCLE{} and SQUARE{}. Here's a regular Octagon, scaled to the same size as CIRCLE{} and SQUARE{}, for those who are interested:

Code: Select all

rule OCTOGON{
	SQUARE{size .41 y -0.20 x -0.201 r 45}
	SQUARE{size .41 y -0.285 }
	SQUARE{size .41 y -0.20 x 0.20 r 45}
	SQUARE{size .41 x 0.285 }
	SQUARE{size .41 y 0.20 x 0.20 r 45}
	SQUARE{size .41 y 0.285}
	SQUARE{size .41 y 0.20 x -0.20 r 45}
	SQUARE{size .41 x -0.285}
	SQUARE{size .41}
}

David Spitzley

Post by David Spitzley »

Hmm, I just noticed that your hexagon isn't the same scale as SQUARE{} and CIRCLE{}. I realize that isn't a requirement or anything, but I think it might be more useful that way (to me, if nobody else). I'm going to work out the necessary factors and post the scaled version here.

David Spitzley

Post by David Spitzley »

Well, after fiddling around, I realized that the scale is exactly 1/2. Duh.

Code: Select all

rule HEXAGON {

SQUARE {size .5 rotate -30 y -0.09 x 0.16}
    SQUARE {size .5 rotate 30 y 0.09 x 0.16}
    SQUARE {size .5 rotate -30 y 0.09 x -0.16}
    SQUARE {size .5 rotate 30 y -0.09 x -0.16}
    SQUARE {size .5 y .183 }
    SQUARE {size .5 y -0.183 }

}

mtnviewmark
Site Admin

Re: Hex-ariffic Designs

Post by mtnviewmark »

emrainey wrote:I've thrown together some stuff on my site for CFDG. I'm continually amazed by the designs that can be generated by it's simplicity.

http://erik.rainey.name/cfdg/
I'm amazed at how beautiful your stuff is! Bravo!
I'm the "m" in "mtree.cfdg"

chris
Site Admin

Re: Hex-ariffic Designs

Post by chris »

emrainey wrote: Chris,
Have you read "A New Kind of Science" by Wolfram? I think you'd see some relation to the autonoma he talks about versus your CFDG. Though, some of the autonoma he talks about are explicitly contextual. I've been thinking about how to design some context free autonoma-like behaviour but it's quite possible that that is a pipe dream.
I once got my hands on a copy of it, and I read the first part about his 1-dimensional cellular automata. I was a little annoyed by his personality, though, because he had all kinds of bold claims about his work being so important... (when in fact it's just a slightly more simplified version of Conway's game of life). But since then I've heard good things about parts of the book -- for example he allegedly gives a really cool solution to a game we used to play with matches at a bar, where it's easily solvable using XOR.

I hadn't thought of a relationship between automata and my design language, but I'll think about it some more...and I'll try to get a copy of the book.

-cc
Current Project: I'm creative director of OKCUPID at http://www.okcupid.com