galaxy2

If you have a design you're proud of, share the cfdg file here. It's also a good place to ask for feedback and collaborate.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

ehuber

galaxy2

Post by ehuber »

Hello, this is my first try. There is a rendered version (13 MB, very high resolution) at:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/ehuber/galaxies2.png

I don't know what the convention is on this forum. But please don't rip my code (:

Context Free is an extremely cool program. I run it on my iBook G4, it is very smooth and pretty well thought out. My only complaint is that when I was browsing through the examples, I expected (Render (apple-r)) to be a toggle -- so it would stop the rendering. Apple-period never occured to me. Really a very minor thing :p

Any suggestions or comments ?

Code: Select all

startshape galaxies

rule galaxies{
	galaxy{}
	galaxy{ x 5 y 3.5 r 30 }
	galaxy{ x 7 s 0.1 r 40 }
	galaxy{ x -1 y 5 s 0.075 r 230 }
}

rule galaxy{
	CIRCLE{}
	branch{}
	branch{ r 120 }
	branch{ r 240 }
}

rule branch{
	CIRCLE{ x 1 s 0.8 b 0.1 }
	// modify s for cool stuff
	galaxy{ s 0.4 }
	// modify r for cool stuff
	branch{ x 2 r 100 b 0.1 s 0.8 }
}
[/code]

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Very cool.
I don't know what the convention is on this forum. But please don't rip my code (:
The convention so far is that people may tweak your code, but they would post the code to this thread and give you props.

But this brings up an interesting question. Although we clearly all own the copyright to our cfdg files, what rights do we have to the infinite variety of visual expressions that file can produce? If somebody sold t-shirts with tangle.cfdg images on them could I stop them?

A graphic design student emailed me about whether he could use Context Free images from this site in projects for his school portfolio. I told him to ask the author to be safe or learn how to use Context Free. Does anybody know the real answer?

t3knomanser

Copyright Thoughts

Post by t3knomanser »

As a general rule, I would say this:
You own the copyright on the code, but not on any images generated by the code per se. Each image would be classified as a "Derivative Work", which means you'd need permission from the author to generate the images, but they would be yours. Now, where that gets hairy is this: two different individuals could use the same code, with permission from the author, and then generate the same image. Now who owns the copyright?

Now that this has been brought up, I'm going to attached a Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike license to my code- speaking of- new feature request- templates. I'll go chuck that in the features forum with another request I've got.