A Submission Gallery!

If you have a design you're proud of, share the cfdg file here. It's also a good place to ask for feedback and collaborate.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

chris
Site Admin

A Submission Gallery!

Post by chris »

Hey!

http://chriscoyne.com/gallery

Create an account! It's a simple script for people to post/share their CFDG's. It's a lot easier than just posting code in here and making people render it on their own. In this new version, you can just click someone else's code to open it in Context Free. And you can see the images as thumbnails or larger prints.

Currently I'm hosting at chriscoyne.com, but just in case it explodes one day, I'll probably move it to cfdg.okcupid.com (at my work) or something like that first. I'll keep everything you upload now though.

It's a pre-alpha.

Please post a few of your favorites and let me know what you think.

Some things:

1. Some day, when Mark and John have time, maybe they'll build something into Context Free so it can do the http submit with one click.

2. I don't have some of the basics programmed yet, like public commentary, voting, editing your own profile, etc... so it doesn't replace this topic in the board.

3. This'll look spectactular once CFDG supports color!

4. Just try it! Already I discovered the convenience of having submitted something from work and then loading it from home.

-Chris
Current Project: I'm creative director of OKCUPID at http://www.okcupid.com

bob

Post by bob »

Nice! I just posted two things I made.

A rss or atom feed with images would be really cool to view updates :)

LaT3x

Post by LaT3x »

Fantastic idea bob ;)

t3knomanser

Crazy thought

Post by t3knomanser »

Here's a crazy thought. Could we rig it so that there's a command-line version of CFDG on the server, so that by simply submitting the code, it renders an image on the upload (allowing the user to specify the seed they want)? Sure, one render-per-upload would get really heavy if the site saw lots of traffic, but I don't think we're going to see hundreds, or even dozens of calls to the renderer at the same time.

It'd save on your bandwidth...

lagroue

Post by lagroue »

Nice !

Now we'd need a link from the gallery page of the Context Free site... :wink:

chris
Site Admin

Post by chris »

There are a few problems with the command line version. (Initially I intended to do it this way)

1. It's easier this way if you're picking and choosing from a CFDG that generates different images each time...rather than having to supply the random seed to the server.

2. I use that machine for other stuff, and it's a giant CPU hog to deal with some submissions.

3. You may be running a different version of Context Free (for example, the color beta that's floating around) -- I'd like to allow this, but just expect the author to say what they're using in the notes.

4. Like me, you might like to render at a much higher resolution first and then scale the size, to create more smoothness. I guess this should be up to the author.

5. I'm hoping future versions of Context Free (at Mark and John's convenience) do the submissions automatically.

Anyway, all said, it was equally easy to do it both ways, so I just chose one. (Especially considering 5 I thought it wouldn't make much difference to let the users do it.)

Anyway, keep the submissions coming!

-Chris

t3knomanser

Post by t3knomanser »

With automated submissions, it doesn't really matter much. I'm just lazy.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

I'm almost there with color. Then I will start on automating submission to the gallery. Mark has become addicted to SecondLife http://secondlife.com/ so I will have to tear him away to do the Mac port.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Can't join gallery page

Post by MtnViewJohn »

I'm having trouble joining gallery site. I get a mySQL error when I try to join manually and I don't understand what these instructions mean:
If you've installed Context Free for Macintosh or Windows, skip this form entirely and register using that. Then login at the bottom of this page. The following form is for joining manually.
BTW, another reason for not running the command-line version of CFDG on the server is that it would be a big security hole. CFDG has not had any security auditing and we already know of a security hole in the use of mktemp(). Making CFDG secure enough for use as a web application is far down the list of features that need to be added. Integrating web apps with the GUI clients is the way to go. It would be nice if we had a GUI client for Linux and xBSD though.

chris
Site Admin

Post by chris »

oh, sorry, the message about "joining through context free" was leftover from my wishful thinking about the long term, that maybe eventually you could (1) pick a screenname and register through the software, and (2) then use the software to open/download your own designs.

A MYSQL error? is there anything unusual about your creation info? I'll go play with it now. What error does it say?

chris
Site Admin

Re: Can't join gallery page

Post by chris »

MtnViewJohn wrote:I'm having trouble joining gallery site. I get a mySQL error when I try to join manually and I don't understand what these instructions mean:
If you've installed Context Free for Macintosh or Windows, skip this form entirely and register using that. Then login at the bottom of this page. The following form is for joining manually.
BTW, another reason for not running the command-line version of CFDG on the server is that it would be a big security hole. CFDG has not had any security auditing and we already know of a security hole in the use of mktemp(). Making CFDG secure enough for use as a web application is far down the list of features that need to be added. Integrating web apps with the GUI clients is the way to go. It would be nice if we had a GUI client for Linux and xBSD though.
Fixed the line about joining through the software.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Desired screenname: MtnViewJohn
Password: ****** (6 lower-case letters)
Confirm: ******
Birthday: April 1, 1967
E-mail: john@glyphic.com

The error message is "Sorry, couldn't insert your info for some reason. MySQL Error."

chris
Site Admin

Post by chris »

My bad. I'm pretty JV with PHP and MySQL.

I was passing mysql a negative birthday into the function FROM_UNIXTIME becuase you were born before 1-1-1970. Duh. I stupidly figured it would take a negative value and convert that to an earlier date.

Switched it to let mysql parse the date.

Can you try again? (I just tried and it worked.) Thanks John!

-cc

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Now it works. Sheesh! I feel so old. More than a dozen users on the gallery site and I am the first born before 1970.

lagroue

Post by lagroue »

Some posts on the gallery are really nice, and there is no way to congratulate their author, or to discuss their method. Wouldn't it be possible, on gallery upload, to automatically create a post in this forum, with comment, wide picture and code below ?