Copyright

If you have a design you're proud of, share the cfdg file here. It's also a good place to ask for feedback and collaborate.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

dreamer

Copyright

Post by dreamer »

Can I use the images I create using context free as a draft for my graphical works and does the copyright of that image belong to me?

According to this link:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLOutput
The copyright of the image that I create belongs to me.Am I right?

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

The GPL-nature of Context Free does not extend to the output files. You definitely own the full copyright to your .cfdg file under the provisions of the Berne convention. It is not clear what rights the copyright holder of a .cfdg file has over the resulting images. Certainly you can sell the images, nobody has the right to prevent you. But I don't know if you can enjoin anyone to not sell images made from your .cfdg file.

I wonder if it is like the relationship between the copyright on source code and the copyright on the resulting executable. Perhaps we also own the copyright on any image made from a .cfdg file that we have the copyright on. Context Free/CFDG seems very much like a compiler.

I certainly hope that this is the case. I use the output of my cfdg files for textures in Second Life, and I sell the end products.