Context Free Animation....

If you have a design you're proud of, share the cfdg file here. It's also a good place to ask for feedback and collaborate.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

Athen

Context Free Animation....

Post by Athen »

Okay, sorry if this post breaks any of the forum rules. It seems people always have some sorta objection to my first posts in forums...

So. Here's the preset code the animation came from...

startshape garden

rule garden {
vine {}
vineb{}
garden { r 3 b .00000001 }
}

rule garden 0.03 {}

rule vine {
CIRCLE {}
vine { y 0.35 s 0.99 b 0.01 }
}

rule vine {
CIRCLE {}
vine { y 0.35 s 0.99 r 3 b 0.01}
}

rule vine {
CIRCLE {}
vine { y 0.35 s 0.99 r -3 b 0.01}
}

rule vine 2 {
CIRCLE {}
vine { y 0.35 s 0.995 r -1 b 0.01}
}

rule vineb {
CIRCLE {}
vineb { y 0.25 s 0.99 b 0.01}
}

rule vineb {
CIRCLE {}
vineb { y 0.25 s 0.99 r 3 b 0.01}
}

rule vineb {
CIRCLE {}
vineb { y 0.25 s 0.99 r -3 b 0.05}
}

rule vineb 2 {
CIRCLE {}
vineb { y 0.25 s 0.995 r 1 b 0.05}
}

Randomization 'GJU'

We downloaded Context Free A few months ago... I came up with this method of how to animate them this morning. Didn't realize there was a new version with colour until like an hour ago...

Basically what we've done here is take the Context free preset and used an animation program to scale and bias the brightness levels, so on the first frame the bottom 5% of values cover the full range, and by the last frame the top% of values cover the full range.

We then are compressing via Virtual Dub, in MPEG4 codec. (I also did an invert filter)...

This is the absolute first time I've tried this (Thought it up this morning) I didn't even realize Context Free now has colour till about an hour ago.

I just thought I would throw it out there (Even though this animation has a bug... in it), and see what other people do with it. If you can get it to work, please try to host it somewhere so we can see what other people do with it/maybe use it in something in the future!
Last edited by Athen on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

project

cool

Post by project »

very cool! i've been really interested in the possibilities of animating context grammars since i stumbled on context free.

i'm not 100% on your explanation of how you did this. did you take the final rendered image and animate it, or did you do a screencapture of the actual rendering process?

please keep posting, love to see what else you guys pull off!

eos4life

Post by eos4life »

We just made sure that the starting shape was black, and then went more towards white from there. Then in an animation program adjusted the levels so on the first frame everything but the darkest black is white, at the end frame everything but the lightest white is black.
I think we inverted the entire thing after that.

Athen

Post by Athen »

We did not do a screen capture of the rendering process. We animated off of the final image.

Athen

Post by Athen »

Cool, I just downloaded the beta that makes animations. Dope.

shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Do you by chance have a piece of cfdg that shows the animation? No biggies needed, just a head-starter would be cool to see

robo git

Post by robo git »

Dude, just take any .cfdg and under the "Render" menu there's a "Save Movie..." option.

Follow your nose from there.

Hope that helps!
-git

shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I am on *nix, there is no GUI for me except if i do one on my own ;)
Wine works with ContextFree, but creating videos does not,
it complains about "QuickTime is not installed"
so I guess this option is also not possible to me to use.

I have one laptop with Windows XP, that could be an option, but I'd rather to this via commandline on *nix.

i did a command like this:

cfdg ziggy_flowers.cfdg -z -a 20 output.png

which produced 20 different images.
Not sure if they would be animated, i am trying to find out how to tell mplayer to make a movie from these files.

EDIT:

its possible with convert
example

convert *png movie.gif

robo git

Post by robo git »

True, sorry... I guess I kinda assumed that you were running Windows or OSX

shevegen

Post by shevegen »

No need to say sorry at all!
I just wanted to clarify this so to not be forgotten. Ok, market share seems to be around 3% for *nix on Desktop, so that is a really tiny minority. There are more guys on Apple MAC and I guess after the latest Intel move of Steve, he plans to go after Old BillyBoy and "I am going to fucking kill google" Balmer :)

Anyway, I am gonna try to make Quicktime run under Wine in the next days, maybe then I can use wine successfully.
Will still be glad for any helpful pointers about commandline usage to generate it! I can wrap around a GUI as well.