CFDG Evolution

If you have a design you're proud of, share the cfdg file here. It's also a good place to ask for feedback and collaborate.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

andrewborrell

CFDG Evolution

Post by andrewborrell »

I just like announce a project I've been working on, its in fairly early stages of development, but has already produced a few interesting results.
A while ago I had the idea of evolving CFDG images, and there was a period where Guigui, jeremydouglass, and I did a series of CFDG images each one being a slight twist on an earlier one, such that all the images could be traced back to one simple common ancestor (or concestor as Richard Dawkins would say). Although this was fun it wasn't what I originally had in mind, as the mutation at each step was hand-crafted so it wasn't really proper evolution.

http://www.wickedbean.co.uk/cfdg/index.html

The above link goes to a page which features a tool I wrote for randomly mutating CFDG files(but in a way which means its still a valid CFDG file). The page also has a python script which can be used to automate the process of creating many mutations, displaying them all in some image browsing tool, then waiting for the user to choose a favourite mutation, and then repeating the process, taking the chosen favourite as the new parent.

Several generations a minute can be achieved like this. The page has a gallery showing some of the results I've managed to create.

I know the system is capable of a lot more, as currently the images created don't compare in complexity to handmade images, but I would love to get some feedback at this stage of the project.

shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Sounds like a great idea, i hope that an evolution of image or image components can work and is feasible. Sounds like something unique. :)

Unfortunately I have no time these days anymore :(

phonx

Post by phonx »

I like what you do since this is already in python why don't you take it up to another level by incorporate context free with Blender 3D! Some ideas come to mind:

turning context free into 3D space - wow!
animation is possible with blender

applications are limitless

If you need ever to know more about Blender try www.blender3d.com, there's a great blenderartist.org\forum for discussion and assistant.