Thank you all you context free people (context free in 3d)

If you have a design you're proud of, share the cfdg file here. It's also a good place to ask for feedback and collaborate.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

janjacobsv

Thank you all you context free people (context free in 3d)

Post by janjacobsv »

I would like to thank you all for the inspiration.
I've been using this programm a while and it gave me inspiration for making a 3d variation. Its rather complex so I wont post any codes but it works!
Using the program Virtools I was able to implement context free method in a 3d environment.
let me show you

so allthough ithis might be offtopic I just wanted to share my joy :)

so thanks again

mrcharles

Post by mrcharles »

That looks fantastic... I am a newcomer to this program, too... and I really like the absolute 2D quality of it... but your experiments look very interesting!

Please keep the forum up-to-date with your progess.

Do you also create a z depth mask with your software?

janjacobsv

Post by janjacobsv »

Thanks!
but err no... this is a ful 3d model, I have written an exporter to other 3d programs like MAYA sketch up and 3ds Max but right now im still working on making a better geometry setup so that the models are smaller and more managable.
I have some models which could be generated/viewed in internet explorer if you have the right plug-in but i have no way of posting it.

janjacobsv

Post by janjacobsv »

well its getting there, wrote a redraw algorithm, shapes are generated in 3 sec. program renders it real time 20 frames per second which is pretty nice given an average of 80000 faces.

maybe ill have time to make it a proper MAYA model and see what mental ray makes of it.. i might even get in a z depth layer :)

janjacobsv

Post by janjacobsv »

I have been more active then this forum, you guys are making me feel insecure ;)
so ill post some new images.... you can also watch a desktoptaping....at youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWgQ8XIPAio

mrcharles

Post by mrcharles »

Very interesting work... and such a contrast with the 2D character of CF.

I assume these models are polymeshes... what sort of polygon count are you dealing with?

Are you tied to a nurbs system?... it must be a real challenge to deal with precision the purity of the CF mark in 3D.

I'd love to try some experiments in the future (too much work right now... not that I'm complaining). I use Maxwell Render as my prefered rendering solution. I also make use of modo for modelling... and some zbrush, too.

I found out about structure synth. I may give that a try sometime (is the software install really that tricky?). I understand that it plays with sketchup and I'd go buy that because it has a good Maxwell plugin.

The models you show remind me of groboto software and the galleries seen there. I've had the demo for some time but not played with it. There are some visual similarities...

A lot could be accomplished with creating a sense of 3D if CF could be made to render a z-depth alpha channel. This could be used with a number of Depth of Field solutions to "play" with different aperture designs and f stops and the depth illusion created.

I'm watching with interest... thanks for sharing your work.

janjacobsv

Post by janjacobsv »

Thanks!
The models are polymeshes with polycounts of around 100k to 200k, virtools is however stil able to render wit 20 frames per second (unles I make transparence shifts in the material gradients).

there are nu NURBS involved in these allthough I am thinking of doing it in nurbs anyhow, might be interesting.

Im still making the models for MAYA have not started rendering in there for the exporter is not fully functional yet, might have to rewrite it partialla which will be a bitch. But I have to much experience in MAYA not to use it.

first time ive heard of I found out about structure synth. and grodobo, they look interesting. However these models are from the bottom up scripted by me which gives me an amazing amount of control, I think ill continue scripting in virtools, allthough its actually made for web based games. wouldnt recomend you to use it though learning curve is steep and its not made for these things.

I agree with your CF remark allthough im seeing now that any 3d CF model has a HUGE added level of complexity, just rotating over three axis instead of one is really tough and annoying.

thanks again...

xgouchet

Post by xgouchet »

hi janjacobsv

Interesting to find a Virtools user here :)

I've seen your pictures on the swapmeet, and discovered Context Free only recently, but i better understand how you did it now.

Do you plan to make part of your source code open? Did you make generic tools to make "context free art" in 3D, or only created what you needed for your project?

Great work anyway... again :)
Life would be easier if they gave me the source code.

janjacobsv

Post by janjacobsv »

hey virtools user! Well as stated in the swapmeet forum im currently busy with other things (school buying a house etc.) and my office building burnt down :( so im not sure when i will continue on this one.
I built the entire thing using BB's so there is not much of a source code to speak of. one of the problems with the virtools model is that it has so much more posibilities that I wouldnt know where to start to make it generic. any method og generisizing it would only limit the possibilities. I could send you the file if you want to check it out though....but if you look at the development of the file in this post you can see how it came to be...

sicvolo

Code

Post by sicvolo »

Good stuff!
Now that you've shared the joy, can you share the tool, so we can play with it too?

janjacobsv

Post by janjacobsv »

been busy with other thing lately, finances and other annoying stuff but did find a moment to make the model tilable :-)
"YES THATS RIGHT TILABLE 3D!!!"
well...it works anyhow
would love to share it but...unless you are an experienced virtools user it would be useless, its annoying and complicated and about as user friendly as....eh i dont know....Vista? the interface is non existent and stuffed with script elements needed for rendering etc. basicly 90 % of the script has nothing to do with shape generation and this makes it wuite hard to work with for anyone who didnt make it :(

hilltop

Post by hilltop »

[quote="janjacobsv"]I have been more active then this forum, you guys are making me feel insecure ;)
so ill post some new images.... you can also watch a desktoptaping....at youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWgQ8XIPAio

Ok, now that I've crawled back up into my chair.. wow. You're playing with something I've only dreamed of all these years, fractal forms in a 3D mesh in a 3d space.

Are you able to export these as DXF or OBJ formats, or is that still way down the road? I'm a working digital artist, who's been immersed in fractals and 3D for 12 some odd years, dreaming of the day I can bring L System meshes into a 3D world. I've been a Bryce fanatic since it ported to the PC thousands of years ago, and have been doing pseudo fractals and abstracts in 3D, but you are sitting there showing off the holy grail I've dreamed of all these years.

If you would consider it, I would be thrilled beyond thrilled to be able to play with anything in the way of a mesh you might cook up and be able to export. I've attempted to do neurons and squiggly pipes and alien life forms with the tools at my disposal, but it's just not possible. Man, this is killing me. ;)

Anyway, if you are ever wanting to put a massive smile on the face of an artitst who is entirely code retarded, I'd love to experiment with some of these crazy, abstract forms. I've been working with flame fractals for quite a few years now, and there were a few people that were working on figuring out how to make meshes out of those, but it just never happened. So I've been patiently holding my breath, waiting and hoping someone could do this, and this is a beautiful thing to behold.

Steve

maxro

Post by maxro »

this is incredibly cool.

Amit579

Re: Thank you all you context free people (context free in 3d)

Post by Amit579 »

That looks amazing.