HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're having trouble using Context Free or don't understand the language, ask for help here.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

REALLY FRUATRATED

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by REALLY FRUATRATED »

OK i downloaded the program last night after seeing it on Attack of the Show on g4. i've been fiddling around with it all night and just ended up confusing myself more. i can go in and edit the example shapes and create something different but if i go to new and type in:

startshape SQUARE

rule SQUARE

{ x 1 s 12 }

it gives me an error message about the command line. what did i do wrong and how do i work this thing somebody please give me some detailed instructions?!?!

Sorry to seem like an idiot but please help

P.S. use simple terms :(

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

lagroue

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by lagroue »

REALLY FRUATRATED wrote:startshape SQUARE
Hi, guy.
This means the program should start drawing SQUARE.

What's SQUARE ? It's a basic shape provided by Context Free. Just as CIRCLE.

That's why you can't redefine it, as you tried to do :
REALLY FRUATRATED wrote:rule SQUARE
{ x 1 s 12 }
A line beginning with rule defines a new word. SQUARE and CIRCLE are already defined - thanks for them :wink:

Example :

Code: Select all

startshape SQUARE
Draws a square

startshape anglesquare

rule anglesquare {
    SQUARE { r 45 }
}
Draws a square rotationed by 45°.
"anglesquare" did not mean anything before I defined it. And I defined it to be equal to SQUARE (already known), rotationed by 45°.

startshape scene

rule scene {
    anglesquare { }
    CIRCLE { x 1 }
}

rule anglesquare {
    SQUARE { r 45 }
}
Asks for drawing "scene".
Scene is an "anglesquare", defined after "scene", and a CIRCLE on the right, already known.

OK. I hope some light has been brought. Keep on reading the forums, and "work" on the example named lesson, provided with the program.

Cheers !

NOT AS FRUSTRATED

SIZE AND OTHER ADJUSTMENTS?

Post by NOT AS FRUSTRATED »

i got that much but when i enter size and location adjustmentssuch as:

startshape smallcircle

rule smallcircle{
CIRCLE { x -5 y 10 b -2 s 3}
}

nothing happens to the image.

again hate to look like an idiot but what am i doing wrong and how do i make it work

Also how ndo you creat a line

thanks again

lagroue

Post by lagroue »

Well...

The drawing area, the white paper sheet, automatically :
- centers on the content.
- shrinks to maximise the drawed picture
- expends so that some white space is left on the border (around as much as the width of the shape on the border... it's not clear, but look at my example below).

So, if you move or resize your single shape, the sheet will move and resize and the shape won't update. There's really no way to draw a circle at the left of the screen, for example. Except...

startshape left_i_said

rule left_i_said {
SQUARE { x -1 b 1 }  // white and invisible ; replace -1 by -10 and see the effect
CIRCLE { }  // haha I got you on the left
}

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Setting the position using the x and y adjustments is only meaningful with respect to other shapes. The whole collection of shapes is always going to be scaled and centered to fill the screen. Try this:

startshape smallcircle 

rule smallcircle{ 
    CIRCLE { s 3 b 1.0 } // invisible
}

lagroue

Post by lagroue »

MtnViewJohn wrote:

startshape smallcircle 

rule smallcircle{ 
    CIRCLE { s 3 b 1.0 } // invisible
}
As we say in French, "les Athéniens s'atteignent" (untranslatable pun).

im havin fun now

vertical shapes

Post by im havin fun now »

i have this input:

startshape bug

rule bug{
CIRCLE { size .25 x -.1 y -.1}
CIRCLE { x .1 y .1 s .35}
}

and i want to know how i would go about stacking the two circle either vertically or horizontally and also how once i complete the shape to just type in the startshape command and get the image that i just created

also is a line just a group of squares run together

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

You could either creat new bug shapes with different x and y adjustments are you could take your existing bug shape and rotate it.

I don't understand your startshape question. When you are testing out shapes you just change the startshape line to reference the shape you want to test and click on Render.

Lines are just SQUAREs run together in Context Free v1.0. In Context Free v1.1 (coming soon) you can stretch a single SQUARE into a rectangle or a line.

aaronstj

Post by aaronstj »

lagroue wrote: As we say in French, "les Athéniens s'atteignent" (untranslatable pun).
You weren't kidding about untranslatable. "The Athenians reach themselves?"

unfrustrated

startshape

Post by unfrustrated »

my startshape question is that if i create a square at a 45 degree angle and call it angle square can i just type in angle square on another document and get the square at a 456 degree angle or do i have to redefine it again for a new document

lagroue

Post by lagroue »

Typing it in every file needing the rule is the easiest way, yes.

Now, you can "include" files in others.
Look the "lesson" example : to draw letters, it does :

include i_pix.cfdg
And then he can type

rule TITLE1 {
	O_5by5 { x 0 }
	N_5by5 { x 1.2 }
	E_5by5 { x 2.4 }
}
O_5by5 and others are defined in i_pix.cfdg, and draw letters.

This begins to be complicated. Here's a near complete discussion.

Post by Guest »

This is the stupidest program I have ever seen. There is no help file and there is no way in hell to know what the shit you are doing.

aaronstj

Post by aaronstj »

Anonymous wrote:This is the stupidest program I have ever seen. There is no help file and there is no way in hell to know what the shit you are doing.
Yet somehow we all figured it out. I agree that there should be a help file, but the program is not all that hard to figure out if you're at all used to seeing code. Try looking at the example named 'lesson.'

just a lost guest

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by just a lost guest »

Ok.. I get the concept that if you are use to starring at code you can get it. But what about the ones that are code challenged.. meaning that we don't code anything.

I guess we that do not code are doomed to delete the program and just stick with the easy breezey programs out there and use the little mouse and draw our shapes and pictures.

I was hoping this was something a ditz could use. Well so much for that. Some of us do not know how to code or even what the heck this is.. to us this is as hard as learning a new language to speak to your long long long long cousin when you don't speak their language.

oh well.

Post by Guest »

I have two questions how do you get the program to draw a line /tendril

and how (just generally) do you go from making snowmen and boxes to making these elaborate trees and designs?

PEACE!!!!!!!