All available Commands?

If you're having trouble using Context Free or don't understand the language, ask for help here.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

Music2000

All available Commands?

Post by Music2000 »

Hi im a new user of Context Free, at the moment i am not very good at using the program but have noticed you use commands such as SQUARE and TRIANGLE to have an effect on the final result, so far i have been just editing values and swapping words around to generate images which has been quite fun but i would like to be able to code my own images, i could not find any documentation in the download area with all the available things i could use so is there a command list available or could someone please post a few of the these if possible, thanks :)

dzeni

Post by dzeni »

Hi,

If you go through the lessons and examples that come with CFDG you will be able get an idea of how to make it do a range of cool things.

below are some commands that I gleaned from the examples mentioned above.

I am assuming you understand about starting off with a "startshape" and you know about writing simple rules.

Shape Commands

CIRCLE{} - draws a circle
SQUARE{} - draws a square
TRIANGLE{} - draws a triangle

*note that you must use CAPS when typing in CIRCLE, SQUARE and TRIANGLE

Manipulating Shapes

CIRCLE{x 1} - the 'x 1' says to shift the circle one to the right (use -1 to go left)
CIRCLE {y 1} - the 'y 1' says shift the circle one up (-ve goes down)

* if you don't leave a space between the 'x' or 'y' and the number, you will get an error and the thing won't draw.

CIRCLE{skew 15 15} - This pushes a shape parallel to the x axis, y axis or both. You need to specify two numbers after the "skew" command, one for x and one for y. If you only want to skew it along the x axis, you would say CIRCLE{skew 3 0}

TRIANGLE{flip 180} - This reflects the image across a line at the given angle (180 degrees in my example above). If you do this to the preceding example, you will end up with a six sided star.

TRIANGLE{r 30} - This rotates the shape by the number of degrees specified.

Coloring Commands

CFDG uses HSB for color.

The 'H' stands for hue and can take values from 0 - 255
hue 0 = red
hue 30 = orange
hue 60 = yellow
and so on. You need to experiment to find the shade you want

The 'S' stands for saturation. s 1 will give you full colour, s 0.3 will look very washed out. Again, experiment and see what works

'B' stands for brightness. A brightness of 0 gives black, a brighness of 1 is white. Values in between will be various shades of grey.

Below are some examples

CIRCLE{hue 0 sat 1 b 1} - Red Circle
CIRCLE{hue 0 sat .1 b 1} - Pale Pink Circle
CIRCLE{hue 0 sat 1 b .5} - Dark Red Circle

Other Useful Stuff

If you have a really cool shape that you want to use in a design but don't want to put in all the code, you can use an include. This then lets you use rules specified in a separate cdfg file.

This is often how people will include letters or special shapes in their work.

eg:

Code: Select all

startshape ripples
include dot_ripple.cfdg
This lets me use the ripples generated in dot_ripple.cfdg in a new design called "ripples".

Finally, if you want to change the background colour of your image, you can do so by using code as follows:

startshape ripples
[b]background[/b]{hue 60 sat .2 b 1}
If you want a black background, you would need to say
background{b -1}

For more hints and tips, you really need to go through the examples / lessons that come with cfdg.

If anyone out there sees any mistakes / errors / ommisions in the above, please say something!

G-d Bless

Dzeni :)

Music2000

Post by Music2000 »

Thanks Dzeni, this information helps a lot :) One more quick question, what are the 3 letter things by the render and save buttons for?

dzeni

Post by dzeni »

An excellent question! I have no idea. I get a new code each time I open a new file but it lets me change codes without changing the design. Perhaps Chris has an answer for this one.

aaronstj

Post by aaronstj »

The code is used to seed the random number generator that chooses between overlapping rules. If your code has any random elements in it, you'll get a unique design for each three letter "variation code." If you use the same variation code on the same CFDG file, you'll get the same pattern, every time.

dzeni

Post by dzeni »

Thanks for that handy explanation! Now it all makes sense.

Music2000

Post by Music2000 »

robo git

Post by robo git »

Another thing to keep in mind is that each shape is relative to the previous shape. EG:

startshape Shape1 {}

rule Shape1 {
      //Create a "Shape2" shape that has been rotated by 60 degrees
      // You would get the same result if you specified a rotation of
      //negative thirty degrees
      Shape2 { r 60}
}

rule Shape2 { 
      //Create a SQUARE stretched along the Y axis RELATIVE to the "Shape2" shape
      //and another stretched along the X axis (again relative)
      //so that in effect it's drawing a cross tilted at 60 degrees.
      SQUARE { skew 1 3 }
      SQUARE { skew 3 1 }
}

So any changes you do are additive.

There is a special syntax for specifying order of changes: Use square brackets. EG:

startshape Shape3 {}

rule Shape3 {
      SQUARE {}
      SQUARE [ r -30 x 1 y 1 r 30 ]
}
should give 2 squares, one slightly below and well to the right, tilted at an angle.

Music2000

Post by Music2000 »

thanks robo git :)