Drawings with color do not render

If you're having trouble using Context Free or don't understand the language, ask for help here.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

natestone

Drawings with color do not render

Post by natestone »

Fantastic program! I've used previous versions for various projects in the past and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks!

However, the program no longer renders color images. The viewer will render and show images with no color, but when the images have hsb values in the rules, no result is shown.

The program does count shapes and show a theoretical image size, but no drawing is visible.

I'm not sure if this is because I'm using an Intel Mac or because I upgraded to 2.0. The last time I used the software was version 1.2 on a G5 mac. Since upgrading the system and software, no color images have been successfully produced.

Versions where problem exists: 2.0v16, 2.1b16 (no others tested)
System:
1.83 GHz MacBookPro

Thanks for your time.

--Nate

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

We develop on Intel Macs so that can't be the problem. Can you post some code?

natestone

Post by natestone »

Well, I haven't written any code (recently). I was just upgrading and playing around with demos and examples. Any demo or example from the gallery that has color will not display.

For instance, the "ciliasun" demo results in a blank page (variation: CGC, 268488 shapes, 570x576 pixels - but no picture).

The black and white examples such as "mtree" render perfectly.

At first I thought this was related to my display because Firefox renders incorrectly when I have my 30in display plugged into my laptop. However, I have the same problem when running on the laptop itself with no external display.

Also, is it possible that my old PPC install has libraries or something that could be interfering?

Thanks,
--Nate

natestone

Post by natestone »

natestone

Post by natestone »

John,

Just so you know, I've been able to run the Windows version under Parallels so I'm not stuck as far as productivity.

I would like to help get the Mac version working if it is in fact a bug so please let me know what other testing you would like me to do.

If you think it's something specific to my computer, that's cool too. I'll keep trying to figure out what may be causing the issue.

Thanks,
--Nate

mtnviewmark
Site Admin

Post by mtnviewmark »

This might be a relative of a bug we had and thought we fixed. Can you try something for me?

Go ahead and try some CFDG that doesn't draw. After you've rendered it, drag the divider line between the text editor and the image area around. Does the image draw while you're dragging?

Thanks.
I'm the "m" in "mtree.cfdg"

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Also try saving to a PNG file even though there is nothing on the screen. If the PNG file is correct but the screen is blank then it looks like the return of this display bug.

natestone

Post by natestone »

Tried "save image" under both 2.0v16 and 2.1b and both produced blank images of the size indicated by the render process.

Moving the divider in either version had no effect on the rendered picture (completely blank). Also tried resizing the window which had no effect.

Thanks,
--Nate

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

I have a 2.0GHz MacBook Pro and I can't replicate the behavior that you describe. Is there anything unusual about your machine?

natestone

Post by natestone »

I did some tests and the problem only appears when my secondary display is plugged in (once I rebooted).

So, perhaps, my 30in Cinema display. Apple says that the MacBookPro fully supports the 30in display, but that is apparently not the case. It looks like a hardware problem and not software.

Thanks for your time investigating.

--Nate

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Sigh. We will simply have to buy ourselves a 30" cinema display in order to investigate this further. ;-)

Actually, my Macbook Pro doesn't recognize my external monitor since the latest OS update.

natestone

Post by natestone »

I wonder if it is the OS as well. I've had numerous display issues since 10.4.8 came out.

Always glad to provide the rationale for spending ridiculous amounts of money for near-useless gadgets! :)