Rendering large

If you're having trouble using Context Free or don't understand the language, ask for help here.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

bigelectricat

Post by bigelectricat »

things i noticed on version 0.2.2

1) on the windows version, the antialiased/reduced scale image preview has a black halo around the shapes if the size is above 700 x 700 pixels. it does not appear on the saved image.

2) above (approx) 2k x 2k pixels the application renders at 1x scale. it does not do the antialiasing rescale. is this limitation caused by windows or is it directly related to hardware (i.e. system memory)?

3) 9x multiplier in command line was mentioned about the next unix version. is command line multiplier already enabled in the windows version? if so what is the syntax? the example given (2400x3150) would require a 21600x28350 image to use for antialiasing reduction. i tried this on the windows version but it has a limit of 6k x 6k image size. would the next version remove the limit?

mtnviewmark
Site Admin

Post by mtnviewmark »

We'll look into the halo...

We don't yet know if the 2k x 2k limit for 3x rendering or the 6k x 6k hard limit are due to memory or inherent in Windows. We suspect the later since our development machine has tons of memory, both normal and graphic. But some more research is needed.

We don't intend there to be a command-line Windows version, per se. However, we could add the rendering factor to the preferences dialog. On the other hand, you can compile the unix/posix version under cygwin, and run a command line version on Windows that way. We do this, so we know it works.
I'm the "m" in "mtree.cfdg"

chris
Site Admin

Post by chris »

I also have an interest in getting the windows one generating gigantic images. Personally, I'll have a machine with 4 gigs of ram set up in a few days (just anxiously waiting for the RAM), and I'd rather be running Context Free in a GUI.

I can't imagine it's purely a single process memory limitation, because in windows I've definitely been running processes hording over a gig of ram (like vmware). also, IE itself can view images way larger than 6000*6000. It must be something hard-coded into that windows canvas object (that I just don't know anything about).
Current Project: I'm creative director of OKCUPID at http://www.okcupid.com

bigelectricat

observations on 0.9b

Post by bigelectricat »

i dont know how you guys did it but i can render 10k x 10k with antialiasing!

but it comes at a price... after the first rendering it seems to randomly run out of memory and starts rendering at the default size. if i repeatedly try to render and save large files only the first image is saved. the rest of the saved files are just large black png files. exiting and re-launching the application puts everything back to normal.

also, the spinning icon while it is rendering gets corrupted during and after a large rendering. it goes back to normal after a save command or if a new file is loaded.

the i_curves example reminds me of a corinthian style capital on an architectural column. if the base can be extended it might become the body of the column. with random designs for the capital!

mtnviewmark
Site Admin

Post by mtnviewmark »

which platform are you running it on: macintosh or windows?
I'm the "m" in "mtree.cfdg"

bigelectricat

Post by bigelectricat »

sorry for the late response. im using windows 2000 sp4 with 1gig of ram. it seems the new version (09b2) already addressed the large file rendering problem. :)

p.s. i used the option not to show the final render. instead i viewed the resulting image in photoshop. i was able to do large renders in a row from different cdfg files.

p.p.s. im not sure if it was possible with the previous version but i am able to render multiple files at the same time. the program seems to handle temporary files well. i have seen some files utilizing up to 48 temp files while rendering.