L-system rules to CFDG

If you're having trouble using Context Free or don't understand the language, ask for help here.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

Tlyman

L-system rules to CFDG

Post by Tlyman »

Hi there!

I've already found the topic How is CFDG related to L-Systems? in the FAQ, but unfortunately it's empty.

Well, we had L-Systems with turtle graphics (I hope you know what I mean, it's that Logo stuff) at school and obviously both Turtle and ContextFree work with context free grammars and rules, but there is the slight difference of drawing while replacing (ContextFree) and of first parsing/replacing the rules, then drawing (L-System). At least, I think that is the difference.

Now I have some of these replacing rules from school like those you can find in Wikipedia and I'd like to "translate" them to ContextFree.
Could you tell me if this is possible?

Greetings
Last edited by Tlyman on Wed May 16, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tlyman

Post by Tlyman »

Hello again!

Since some time passed already, I'd be grateful, if you dropped me short message here. I'd like to know if you have just overlooked my posting or if you couldn't find an answer to it (or maybe just couldn't understand my English :)). That would help me to decide about further research on other sites.

Best regards,
Tlyman

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

I think that the key difficulty in doing L-systems in Context Free is that L-system rules are always either drawing a line or progressing another generation in the drawing rule (and drawing nothing). Context Free rules cannot do this. They must always draw and progress to the next generation. The next major release of Context Free will be able to track rule generations and suppress actually drawing until the last generation. But Context Free 2.x just can't do it.

Tlyman

Post by Tlyman »

Thank you for your answer which helped me a lot to clarify the possibilities of the current release. I'm happy to see that you recognize the same problems as I did. And I'm really looking forward to the next version ;)

Heliotropion

Post by Heliotropion »

<Lots of time goes by.>

Tlyman, any luck with any L-system experiments? I'd been thinking the same thing this morning.

Tlyman

Post by Tlyman »

To be sincere, I haven't been experimenting with it after MtnViewJohn's answer and I'm just waiting for the release with the mentioned "real" L-System support which should solve the problem once and for all ;)
Perhaps I will find some spare time to dive into the source code and try to implement it myself, but for the moment I'm still a bit busy :)