Possible rendering/seed bug in 2.2b -- info on replicating.

If you're having trouble using Context Free or don't understand the language, ask for help here.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

kalimonster

Possible rendering/seed bug in 2.2b -- info on replicating.

Post by kalimonster »

System info, etc: Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3. I'm using CF 2.2b.

I dusted off CF for the first time in several months recently, and ran into an odd issue.

Sometimes, for some reason I couldn't pinpoint, my files would stop accepting 'custom' seed values -- that is, if I entered a new XYZ value in the seed window, and hit 'Render', it would just render the next image sequentially, as if I hadn't changed the seed value at all.

I could temporarily fix this issue by copy-pasting my script into a fresh document window, which would then work properly and accept non-sequential seed values, but I knew this wasn't working as intended.

This afternoon, I was able to replicate the issue:

Under preferences: When Context Free Opens: [x] do nothing.

Step 1: Open a previously-saved document.
Step 2: Type a different seed value into the window.
Step 3: Hit render. Note that the different value is not rendered -- the sequential value is, instead.

To avoid the issue:

Step 1: Open a blank OR previously-saved document.
Step 2: Open another previously-saved document.
Step 3 and up: In the second document, everything then works as it should. Even if you then close the first document, the second one continues to work fine.

Other info: If you set CF to start with a blank document or the welcome message, this doesn't happen. It only seems to happen if you set it to start with no document at all.

I hope this is enough information to be helpful in fixing the issue. It's not a critical error, of course, but I wanted to report it anyhow. :)

--k.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Are you using CF2.2beta3 or an earlier beta? This sounds like a bug that I fixed in beta3, but maybe my fix was not comprehensive. I cannot reproduce this behavior using CF2.2beta3.

kalimonster

Post by kalimonster »

Help > About Context Free tells me: 2.2 (v15)

It would be the beta that was available early last year (Mar/Apr), and I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't check for a newer one before I started tinkering again. I'll go get the version at the Download Beta page so you don't get any other Ghost Bugs of Betas Past. :)

Apologies!

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

No worries. It serves me right for stringing out the beta stage for so long.