Context free crashes

If you're having trouble using Context Free or don't understand the language, ask for help here.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

rubynl

Context free crashes

Post by rubynl »

I downloaded the latest standalone version two days ago. I tried to render a slightly tweaked version of this thing: http://www.contextfreeart.org/gallery/view.php?id=2492
on a huge canvas (10000x10000). Not a good idea. The rendering seemed to go fine, but when it was almost finished, I got an error (I believe it was a value of -1 for a parameter that must be positive or something like that). Context free shut down and since then it crashes immediately at startup. I re-downloaded the standalone version and the installer and tried them both, so I think it has to do something with temporary data that Context Free tries to load at startup, but I'm not totally sure. Meh.
I would appreciate any help! :)

rubynl

Re: Context free crashes

Post by rubynl »

HUH I tried this for like five times and the same happened again and again. Now I try it again, immediatly after making this topic, and Context Free works again. Maybe it's that I uninstalled Context Free that it deleted the corrupt data? Dunno. Maybe this topic can be a bug report instead of a help-me-please topic?

rubynl

Post by rubynl »

Sadly, I'm having the same problem again, so I would be delighted if anyone can help...
Thanks in advance

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

So Context Free was broken after the crash but worked again after uninstalling and reinstalling? And then it broke again? Did it work the second time but break after trying the 10000x10000 render?

Just as a side note, it is better to install the non-stand-alone version. The stand-alone is just for installing on a thumb drive or a cd.

-- john

rubynl

Post by rubynl »

I installed the standalone version first, which broke after the 10000x10000 render. Then I tried the installed version, which didn't work for me so I un-installed it. Then I found it was working again by running the standalone version. Then the standalone version worked for a few times, then it suddenly didn't work (without having tried a 10000x10000 render or something like that).

rubynl

Post by rubynl »

I just installed it -it didn't work- then un-installed it -now it works again (the standalone version, that is)-.
Really weird...
this could be about some externel things/libs that Context Free tries to load, but you'd expect Context Free would work after installing it, not un-installing it...

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

OK. I can reproduce the crash you saw. But after the crash Context Free still runs fine. I'll try it again with the standalone version on another machine.

BTW, the crash is caused by a very stupid exception from the Microsoft .Net environment. If you see it again just click the 'Continue' button and everything will be fine.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

I did get some crazy behavior because my hard disk was full of temp files.

rubynl

Post by rubynl »

It seems that everything runs like a charm now, so that's good (however I still think it's weird that it didn't work for such a long time, under practically the same conditions...)
Thanks for your help bro!

jonsbeard

Post by jonsbeard »

I just posted about a crash, but then I read this and realized I had the exact same issue when I was rendering a 6000x6000, except that that exception kept popping up over and over and over, with different values, like -4, -11, etc. etc. no matter how many times I pressed continue (well, not no matter how many times, but as many times as I could stand until I hit quit). Could it have something to do with the "temp files" that were mentioned?

Jon

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Yes, pressing continue really isn't going to work because the exception is triggered dozens of times.

My stupid bug causes Context Free to die without cleaning up an enormous number of temp files. After a couple of crashes, your hard disk will be full and all of your Windows applications will start to be flakey, including Context Free.

But I thought that this was fixed. When did you download Context Free?

jonsbeard

Post by jonsbeard »

Just recently, though I actually managed to push Continue until it shut up, because I wanted my image badly enough, haha. It happens every time I try to render this one particular shape if the size is large enough, so yeah, it must be the temp files still, like you said.