Documentation...?

Here you can discuss and share functionality improvements and helper programs to make Context Free better.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

t3knomanser

Documentation...?

Post by t3knomanser »

So, I was going through the code yesterday, and not to be a jerk or anything, but you guys aren't much for documentation, are you?

Just saying. Sifting through the code was rather educational, but it's now going to be awhile before I get around to writing any patches. Hell, in lieu of writing any patches, I might just document the code once I figure out what it's all supposed to do.

aaronstj

Post by aaronstj »

Welcome to the real world. People here don't comment their code very much, unfortunately.

I know I sure don't.

t3knomanser

Post by t3knomanser »

Yeah, it's depressingly common. You'd think that, in the Open Source world, where documentation is really important, you'd see better documentation. Alas and alack, etc. etc.

I think documentation will be my first contribution once I'm out of this run of 14 hour days.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Would you be able to use darcs and post a darcs repository with your changes on a web site? I can put up my development repository too. That way we can pull changes from each other. We really should have a developer's page on the Context Free web site.

t3knomanser

Post by t3knomanser »

Certainly. Someone might want to proof my docs anyway, just in case I miss the purpose of something.

mtnviewmark
Site Admin

Post by mtnviewmark »

Caught!

You know, this started out as a little hack... and just grew! I usually like to document my code by having test suites that demonstrate how each object should be used. Alas, we didn't get into that groove for this project.

Perhaps a written up "walk-through-the-code" would be appropriate. It isn't really that big.
I'm the "m" in "mtree.cfdg"