Animated CFGD?

Here you can discuss and share functionality improvements and helper programs to make Context Free better.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

boork

Animated CFGD?

Post by boork »

Hello!

Was thinking the other night, as i watched the beautiful cfgd program for MAC OS X, wow, how good would it be if i could output a png file for every re-scaling, and then re-arrange into a animation in somthing like after fx..., the possibilitys for motion design are fantastic...

anyway, i wouldn´t know how to do the neccesary c++ (am having a hard time keeping up with cfdg!) but would really like to make some nice animations...
when everything is connected, for better or for worse, everything matters.

mtnviewmark
Site Admin

Post by mtnviewmark »

Oh yeah - I'm right there with ya! Let me get the 1.0 release out, then we'll see...
I'm the "m" in "mtree.cfdg"

boork

umm, wrong catagory maybe...

Post by boork »

have just noticed these should be in the features discussion section, sorry, long day of work... Perhaps admin could move it if they see fit.

boork

nice!

Post by boork »

Hey Mark, Glad you like the idea!

I would guess it´s not that hard to make cfgd do this (say´s the person who isn´t going to write it!).

I look forward to seeing this in action!

Also, i have been using the alpha release to make still layers for animation, but have found after one render with dimensions (1024 x 576)
and one save image, it will always crash on the next attempt to save image...

As per usual, i haven´t filed a crash report, like it asks me if i want to... would this be of help to you, or anything else for that matter...

Many thanks

:)

mtnviewmark
Site Admin

Post by mtnviewmark »

The crash on the second save image has been fixed and will be in the next release (coming very soon).
I'm the "m" in "mtree.cfdg"

boork

nice!

Post by boork »

Cool Beans!

Peace and love...

diskurs

Is there still any effort in making a sequential output?

Post by diskurs »

first. Thanks for the great work done so far!

How about sequential output to numbered files or to uncompressed RGB movies (which would be the better alternative so you can compress the movie how you want e.g. with VirtualDub)?
This would be great.
I browsed the forums and found some previous suggestions for this feature.
The suggested parameters would be:
- final render size
- initial step size to render
- step size modifier ( linear factor , cubic...)

thanks again
Max

dz79

Making "animation" a reality

Post by dz79 »

Ok, so I'm new to Context Free, and I've fallen in love. I feel like a kid with a turtle and a pen all over again, but the possibilities are much cooler. I had a few thoughts occur in making animation in CF a reality:

I don't know what others are thinking in terms of animation in CF, but I immediately thought of generating multiple renderings as frames in an animation. A lot of the basic functionality required to make that a reality could be done by adding some program control to the grammar.
  1. So, a few of the menu commands could be scriptable within a .cfdg file, namely "Render with dimensions" and "save image".
  2. A simple looping mechanism, such as loop {n_frames} to specify the length of a given animation, and the n_frames variable for a given iteration could then be appended to the file name when saving.
  3. A set of global constants defining standard video output resolutions would be awesome. It might also be nice to set a default resolution for a given .cfdg file.
I'm assuming this all can't be too difficult, so I may download the source and throw it into XCode this weekend to play around a bit. Honestly, though, my coding skills are a little rusty, so I'm not sure how far I'll get. I thought I'd best throw the ideas out there just in case I don't get to it.

As far as animating individual renderings... that seems a little more complex. Reading the postings about output to .ps is illuminating, though. Does the use of iteration in the source mean that during each iteration an optional "save image" with the iteration number appended to the filename could occur? This could be added to the .cfdg grammar as well as a switch in startshape. No?

Just thoughts at this point. Keep up the good work, guys. I have the feeling the surface is just being scratched at this point.

dz79

Standard video resolutions

Post by dz79 »

BTW, this wikipedia article has a nice comprehensive list of standard video resolutions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution