Where is the darcs tree now?

Here you can discuss and share functionality improvements and helper programs to make Context Free better.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

dankna

Where is the darcs tree now?

Post by dankna »

I saw that Download_page references a tree at http://www.contextfreeart.org/repos/ContextFree2.0/, and Download_Beta_page references one at http://www.contextfreeart.org/repos/ContextFree2.2beta/, but neither directory exists, and the parent, http://www.contextfreeart.org/repos/, is unlistable. Not only that, but the tarball and zipfile links from Download_Beta_page are broken. :)

So, uh, for now I'm using the 2.0 tarball to do my experiments. But it would be easier for all of us if the _darcs tree were included in that tarball. As a longtime darcs fan, the first thing I'm doing with it is creating my own local repo and importing... but my patches won't be usable in your repo because of the differing context... oh well.

As for what the experiments are.... :D Well, I'm thinking of using this to generate some of the spot art in a videogame project I'm doing, so I'm extending in more of a pragmatic way. I know the entire concept is that it's context free, but the extensions I have in mind are going to break that constraint, hopefully in interesting ways.... ;)

The first thing I'm doing, to get myself oriented in the source, is producing something like the "tile" feature but with respect to rotation rather than repetition, so that you can make snowflakes that are actually symmetric. If I don't lose interest, you'll hear back in a couple weeks with how it went. :)

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

The darcs repositories are all there but the web server does not seem to be configured to deliver them. The problem is a malformed .htaccess file, which we have deleted. Try it again.

Version 2.2 is not ready yet, so the links on the download beta page are dead. I am creating wiki pages for version 2.2 but I haven't uploaded source files or binaries to the web server yet. Version 2.2 implements all of the features proposed for version 3.0 that can be done without creating a virtual machine (custom primitive shapes, constant expressions, complex loops). I am creating version 2.2 before I jump to version 3.0 to get an idea of what the virtual machine in version 3.0 should look like.

dankna

Post by dankna »

Ah... yes, that makes sense to do a 2.2 first, then. I looked at the 3.0 thread and the proposed features seem interesting. But, um... I still don't appear to have access to any of the darcs repositories. I tried all the variations on the directory name I could think of... While I certainly wouldn't mind getting a preview of the 2.2 source before it's ready, I would be just as happy with just the 2.1 or 2.0 repos... yeah, I reloaded a couple times to make sure it wasn't my browser caching the error response.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

dankna wrote:Ah... yes, that makes sense to do a 2.2 first, then. I looked at the 3.0 thread and the proposed features seem interesting. But, um... I still don't appear to have access to any of the darcs repositories. I tried all the variations on the directory name I could think of... While I certainly wouldn't mind getting a preview of the 2.2 source before it's ready, I would be just as happy with just the 2.1 or 2.0 repos... yeah, I reloaded a couple times to make sure it wasn't my browser caching the error response.
You can't access the darcs repository using a browser. The web server is configured to not allow directory browsing. You need to use darcs to pull from the repository. If you don't want to use darcs then you can download the zip file or the tar file with the sources. The only advantage of using darcs is that you can see the change history.

dankna

Post by dankna »

Ah - got it. Yeah, I'd been using the browser to check if it was available, oops. :) So, I was able to pull the 2.1 tree and am now working from it.

But yeah... being able to view the change history is a significant advantage when you're trying to find your feet in a codebase that somebody else wrote. That's why I cared so much. :) That, and it will be a lot easier on you if by chance you want to incorporate any of my changes in the future - since our repositories now share a common ancestor, you can get a nicely-packaged patchset rather than having to apply by hand.

mtnviewmark
Site Admin

Post by mtnviewmark »

Glad you're up and compiling.... If you choose to dabble in some area of the code, let us know. John and I have been saving up several things, some minor and some major and you might want to know what is planned. We'd also love to know with might be coming as a contribution!
I'm the "m" in "mtree.cfdg"

Diego

Post by Diego »

Same thing for Windows version?
http://www.contextfreeart.org/download/ ... .2beta.exe

I would try the Beta version.

Thank you for this excellent program.

Diego

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Diego wrote:Same thing for Windows version?
http://www.contextfreeart.org/download/ ... .2beta.exe

I would try the Beta version.

Thank you for this excellent program.

Diego
The beta isn't quite ready yet. I will make an announcement when it is ready to try-out.

Diego

Post by Diego »

Ok :( ;)
I'll be biting my fingernails in the meantime.
Any ideas about a lunch date?

Thank you

Diego

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

I'm going to try to get it out this weekend.

Diego

Post by Diego »

Ohhhhhh. :D