Getting serious about animation

Let the developers know what you think of the software and what can be done to either improve the CFDG language or the Context Free program.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Getting serious about animation

Post by MtnViewJohn »

I'm working on a new version of CF to support animation. But I don't really plan on using this feature I don't really know what y'all want. Since we aspire to follow the XP methodology, what I need are user stories for the animation feature. Respond to this thread with a description of what you expect to get in the way of output and what steps you would take to get them. Don't delve into UI minutiae, just give the general process that you envision. Here are some ground rules:
  • The Posix version will only output a series of frames as PNG files.
  • The Mac version will likely support direct creation of QuickTime files too.
  • The Windows version may also support direct QuickTime or WMV file creation.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

[ ... sound of crickets chirping ... ]

momo

Post by momo »

Do we really need to complicate the code for the posix version? if we want a serie of frames we can use a simple script like someone pointed in this post.

What would be the difference if we had this feature integrated in Context Free?

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

The Posix version would be pretty trivial once the changes are made to support the Windows and Mac versions. The script is very simple but it involves O(n^2) time to produce the frames while the integrated version would only take O(n) time.

As a practical matter, I would create the Posix version first to debug that part of the feature set before working on the interface to Quicktime or Windows Media.