Changes comming to the gallery. What do you want to see?

Let the developers know what you think of the software and what can be done to either improve the CFDG language or the Context Free program.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

markie

Tagging?

Post by markie »

Sorry John; i don't know the concept of tagging; how would that work out?

What i meant was a way to share & re-use basic elements.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Tagging means supplying a bunch of descriptive words when you upload a design. People can then search for designs with a particular tag. Or if they like a design then they can look at other designs with the same tags. The list of tag words is not fixed or predefined. You get to pick whatever words you want to describe your design. The best way to understand tag words is to go to http://www.flickr.com/ and see it in action.

Make sure you look at the tags 'cfdg' and 'Context Free'.

Guigui

Post by Guigui »

Something else about the gallery
It's a pity that a drawin is considered as new when it's been only edited for some cosmetic changes (especially when it's only to change the author notes, for instance to correct an accented character :? )
8^)

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

I noticed that too. The database schema automatically updates the upload date field any time you change the design state. I will change it to stop doing that.

Update: It wasn't the schema. The PHP code explicitly updated the date field. I have fixed this.

shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Got two suggestions:

"The CFDG Gallery"
is on the left hand side, if you view the gallery etc.
I just now commented on one cool cfdg I found there, and then wanted to
go to the forum, but there was no link to the left side. Maybe you could
add a link there? It already has about 5 links or so.

Another suggestion:
I had to login here again... I am not sure, but isnt it supposed to be more
like one login to access all stuff here, or is the forum and gallery still
somewhat splitted?

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Adding a link to the forums on the left side of the gallery is a good idea.

Right now the gallery accesses the username and password database table for phpbb but maintains its own session state. This means that you need to login to both, but you use the same username and password. I will look into piggy-backing onto the actual phpbb session.

michael

Post by michael »

There are so many images in the gallery that it would take a long time to view them all. In addition to the views by date, name, or random order, it might be interesting to have a "Favorites" gallery, where each user could select their favorite of their own images (or alternatively, their favorite out of all users' uploads) to display in the gallery.

Or maybe each user could have an individual favorites page. There are some images I've seen that were created by other users years ago that a newcomer is unlikely to come across without spending hours looking at random sets of 25 (which is what I did). I'd like to have some way to point those images out to other visitors.

There is a danger that something like that might degenerate into a popularity contest, but it could also be a fun way to help others unearth some of the gems buried way back in the gallery.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

michael wrote:… Or maybe each user could have an individual favorites page. There are some images I've seen that were created by other users years ago that a newcomer is unlikely to come across without spending hours looking at random sets of 25 (which is what I did). I'd like to have some way to point those images out to other visitors.

There is a danger that something like that might degenerate into a popularity contest, but it could also be a fun way to help others unearth some of the gems buried way back in the gallery.
I think that this is a great idea. I very much doubt that it would be a popularity contest. I envision that when you click on a person's username you get a page displaying their uploads and their favorites.

I would like to create more linking of influence and interest within the site. Another way that I think could facilitate this is allowing people to embed links to other designs in design author notes and in design comments.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

I just added a few more features to the gallery:
  • Tiled display: you can specify whether a cfdg file is tiled when you upload it. If it is tiled then the image will be displayed tiled.
  • Link tags: you can embed links to other designs, other gallery users, or other web sites inside your comments.
  • Author notes can now have code tags and link tags.
  • I added a link to the forums to the left side of the gallery.
I had to refresh my browser a few times to get tiled display to work. I guess Safari wasn't reloading the css on the first try. Check it out here. Let me know if the help text for link tags on the comment form and the upload form are not clear.

Nom

New tags

Post by Nom »

are great. I vote for replacing "blah blah blah" with "...".

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Yes, that does look more professional.

Nom

Post by Nom »

I'm getting a message "Hey! That is not your design." when trying to upload a new design. What does it mean?

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Oops, sorry. Try again.

markie

Coloured syntax?

Post by markie »

Hi,
Like GuiGui already suggested, the coloured syntax, which is in the gallery, but not yet in the program, would be handy. Any plans for that?

Nom

Shadows

Post by Nom »

With the new excellent upload feature, "shadow" contributions have started to appear in the gallery. Like somebody uploading an example design there :evil: It's really rather frustrating to see all those Tangles and Tangle 2's there.

So perhaps a kind of "vote for removal" feature? Three hits from different registered users and voilá, an example design vanishes like dusk to the dawn?