Changes comming to the gallery. What do you want to see?

Let the developers know what you think of the software and what can be done to either improve the CFDG language or the Context Free program.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Changes comming to the gallery. What do you want to see?

Post by MtnViewJohn »

The cfdg gallery will be moving to www.contextfreeart.org soon. Please reply to this thread with feature suggestions and bug fixes. Here is what I have already:
  • eliminate ERROR: exec() error: ERROR: exec() error: ERROR: exec() error: messages.
  • harden site against XSS and SQL injection attacks
  • make site emit compliant XHTML
  • when displaying 5 or 25 newest uploads provide a link for displaying the next 5 or 25 (and so on)
  • integrate with forum user database (like the wiki)
  • allow users to modify there already uploaded cfdgs
  • allow users to edit or delete their comments
  • warn people if they accidentally upload a PNG file instead of a cfdg file
  • support automatic uploading from Context Free (and maybe the cfdg command-line version)
  • allow the variation code to be included with uploads
  • get mime type right so that clicking on a cfdg link will launch Context Free (Windows and Mac)

Guigui

Post by Guigui »

Good thing. So, my suggestions:
    •when displaying an artwork with the comments and the code, the title is missing. •BTW, as the code is there in the display page, I think it's not needed in another one. •Can it be possible to sort out the list of the users also by name, and by number of artworks? •Can we have a search tool to recall an artwork by his name?
On what you already have, everything is right. Mayby the automatic uploading from Context Free will bring you a lot of 'just a try' artwork.
8^)

Guigui

Something else.

Post by Guigui »

Something else.

It would be nice, when we are looking to our own artwork, to have a reply link on the comments. Thanks…[/b]
8^)

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

How about when you click on their user name and get a list of their uploads you also get a form for sending them an email?

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Guigui wrote:Good thing. So, my suggestions:
    •when displaying an artwork with the comments and the code, the title is missing. •BTW, as the code is there in the display page, I think it's not needed in another one. •Can it be possible to sort out the list of the users also by name, and by number of artworks? •Can we have a search tool to recall an artwork by his name?
On what you already have, everything is right. Mayby the automatic uploading from Context Free will bring you a lot of 'just a try' artwork.
  • fixed, title is now displayed
  • I'm keeping the code in the view large page. CFDG code is now syntax colored and you can insert syntax-colored cfdg code into comments.
  • users can be sorted by name, join date, and upload count
  • For now, I am adding the ability to view designs sorted by title. Search may come later.
  • Automatic uploads is a work-in-progress. Generating multi-part MIME http POST messages is proving to be tedious.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

OK. I have uploaded the gallery. You can find it at http://www.contextfreeart.org/gallery. The gallery database snapshot is a few weeks old. Once I am satisfied with the new gallery I will move the current state of the current gallery over (destroying all the test content that is there right now). Please go ahead and play with the new gallery and reply here with any issues that you find. Anything that you upload will get wiped when the current gallery moves.

shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Looks better than the old one so far :D

Personally, I'd like a (option for) rating between good, very good, and perfect :)
(No need for negative votes, people will anyway strive to what they
like, and the rest we can just *shrug* off easily, so to focus on the impressive
.cfdg files)

PS: Also it would be nice to get something like

THIS IS OUTDATED. PLEASE MOVE TO:
http://www.contextfreeart.org/gallery/

instead, on the old gallery.

So people dont get confused which site is the "newer" one.

Guigui

Post by Guigui »

Hi MtnViewJohn! Good work!
Here's the strange things I saw (on Safari 2.0.4 & Firefox 1.5.0.8 for mac):

- there's sometime blank hole in the disposition 'by 25'.

- into the comments, instead of french accented letters, I get this: ?
(it can be revised when it's editable (our own comments), so the accented letters are accepted, I think it's only a probleme that happened during the transition between the old & the new gallery)

- I can upload with no problem, but when I edit an uploaded artwork I sometime get a truncated name (for example "Caro" instead of "Caro's wallpaper")

- and WOW, I've upload an image I allready did through the upload page on the old galley: The image is now more compressed (in JPEG) than it was before (in PNG). Really lighter (68 Ko instead of 336 Ko), but of course less smart.

As far I can tell, the navigation in the gallery is now faster than before. BTW, the colored syntax is cool, but I don't have it in my Context Free :( (and it's updated in Version 2.0 (16) for mac).
8^)

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Guigui wrote:Hi MtnViewJohn! Good work!
Here's the strange things I saw (on Safari 2.0.4 & Firefox 1.5.0.8 for mac):

- there's sometime blank hole in the disposition 'by 25'. <MVJ - could you describe this more? >

- into the comments, instead of french accented letters, I get this: ?
(it can be revised when it's editable (our own comments), so the accented letters are accepted, I think it's only a problem that happened during the transition between the old & the new gallery) <MVJ - the old gallery didn't let you edit your uploads. This issue happens because I forgot to put the database connection into UTF-8 mode. >

- I can upload with no problem, but when I edit an uploaded artwork I sometime get a truncated name (for example "Caro" instead of "Caro's wallpaper") <MVJ - fixed. >

- and WOW, I've upload an image I allready did through the upload page on the old galley: The image is now more compressed (in JPEG) than it was before (in PNG). Really lighter (68 Ko instead of 336 Ko), but of course less smart. <MVJ - the old gallery was compressing the image files by compacting them from 24-bit color to 8-bit color. We decided that JPEGs looked better than 8-bit PNGs. >

As far I can tell, the navigation in the gallery is now faster than before. BTW, the colored syntax is cool, but I don't have it in my Context Free :( (and it's updated in Version 2.0 (16) for mac). <MVJ - only the web site has syntax coloring. Adding syntax coloring to Context Free itself would be hard. >
I am waiting for Chris to send me the current snapshot of the gallery before I upload fixed PHP code and replace the old gallery with the new gallery.

Guigui

Post by Guigui »

As we say in France, "a good drawing is better than a long speech" 8), so:
(mmm…it's quite not a good drawing) - Anyway, it's not always on 3 columns but it's always at the beginning of a line and when I resize the window and make the page redrawn with more or fewer columns, the 'blank holes' don't appear at the same places. It seems it doesn't depend on the proportion of the little images neither on the length of the titles (as far as I can tell). Something else: with the same images and the same size of window, the 'blank holes' are at the same places in Safari & Firefox.

For the coloring syntax, too bad but NOT SO BAD :wink: it's already fun to have it like that in the web site. However, I prefer the ol' 8-bit PNGs to the new 24-bit JPEGs (perhaps too compressed) … but YOU'RE THE BOSS :D
8^)

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Oh, those holes. Those are caused by CSS layout. I can't eliminate them but I can tweak the CSS file so that the chance of that happening is much smaller. Holes happen way too often right now.

The JPEG vs. PNG-8 compression method is tricky. Images with many colors, especially those with color gradients, look much better with JPEG. Images with few colors look better with PNG-8. Maybe I can add a compression method input on the upload form. If you don't like the way it looks with one method you can edit your upload to use the other method.

[update] I fixed the layout problem and synced the PHP code on my laptop with the server, so all the other fixes should now be there. The most recent uploads all vanished because I synced the database too. You can now choose between JPEG and PNG-8 for the compression method.

Guigui

Post by Guigui »

This is now perfect. Here's for you:

Code: Select all

startshape MC
background {b -1}
rule AA {AA1{x .2 y .5 s .06 r 60}
AA2{x .2 y .5 s .06 r 30}
AA3{x -.39 s .06 r 3}}
rule CC {CC1 {r 12 s -.093 -.066 x .36 y -.45}}
rule EE {AA3{x -.45 y -.48 s .09 -.06 r -3}
AA3{x -.39 s .06 -.06 r -6}
AA3{x -.39 y .45 s .075 -.06 r -3}
AA2 {s -.06 .06 r -66 x -.36 y .5}}
rule HH {FF1{x -.345 y .5 s .06 .051 r 18}
FF1{x .27 y .5 s .06 .051 r 18}
AA3{x -.39 s .084 -.06 r -6}}
rule II {AA3{y .5 s .1 -.06 r -96}}
rule MM {AA3{x .4 y .5 s -.06 -.06 r 58.5}
AA3{x -.39 y .5 s -.06 -.06 r 136.5}
FF1{x -.39 y .5 s .06 .051 r 18}
AA3{x .4 y .5 s .096 -.06 r -96}}
rule RR {AA3{x -.3 y .5 s .1 -.06 r -90}
BB1 {skew 5 1 s .09 .05 r 12 x -.36 y .45}
AA3{x .42 y -.5 s .075 .051 r 135}}
rule SS {BB1 [x -.0 y .0 s 1.2 .81 skew 0 30 r -45 s .1 .05 ]
BB1 [x -.0 y .0 s 1.2 .81 skew 0 30 r -45 s -.1 -.05 ]}
rule TT {AA3{y .5 s .1 -.06 r -96}
AA3{x -.39 y .45 s .075 -.06 r -3}}
rule YY {AA3{x -.03 y -.5 s .048 .075 r 96}
KK2 {x -.45 y .48 s -.06 .06 skew 0 30 r 135}}
rule MC {MM{s 1.2 x -2.1 y 1.8 r 15} 
EE{x -.8 y 2} 
RR{x .3 y 2} 
RR{x 1.3 y 1.9 r -12} 
YY{s 1.1 x 2.2 y 1.8 r -15} 
CC{x -3.9 y -.1 r -30}
HH{x -2.85 y -.6 r -18}
RR{x -1.7 y -.85 r -12}
II{x -.95 y -.95 r -6}
SS{x -.25 y -1}
TT{x .75 y -.95 r 5}
MM{x 1.8 y -.85 r 9}
AA{x 2.9 y -.6 r 18}
SS{x 3.8 y -.2 r 30}}
rule AA1 {SHAPE{} AA1[r 1.5 x -.5 s .98]}
rule AA2 {SHAPE{} AA2[s .98 r 1 x -.5]}
rule AA3 {30*{x .5 r -.5 s .975}SHAPE{}}
rule BB1 {80*[r -4 x .5 s .981]SHAPE{}}
rule BB2 {90*[r -4.2 x .5 s .987]SHAPE{}}
rule CC1 {84*[x .5 r -2.7 s .975 1]SHAPE{s .9}}
rule FF1{SHAPE{} FF1{y -.5 s .981 r -.6}}
rule KK2 {66*[r -2 x .5 s .99]SHAPE{}}
rule SHAPE 2{CIRCLEE{}}
rule CIRCLEE 37{CIRCLEE{hue 37}}
rule CIRCLEE {CIRCLE{sat 1 b 1}}
rule SHAPE .01{SPIRAL1{}}
rule SHAPE .02{SPIRAL1{flip 180}}
rule SHAPE .045{SPIRAL2{}}
rule SHAPE .045{SPIRAL2{flip 180}}
rule SHAPE .003{SPIRAL3{}}
rule SHAPE .003{SPIRAL3{flip 180}}
rule SHAPE .045{SPIRAL4{}}
rule SHAPE .06{SPIRAL4{flip 180}}
rule SHAPE .1{SQUAREE[s 6 2 r 90]}
rule SQUAREE 37{SQUAREE{hue 37}}
rule SQUAREE {SQUARE{sat 1 b 1}}
rule SPIRAL1 {CIRCLE{s .18 b 1} SPIRAL1{s .996 x .1 r 2}}
rule SPIRAL2 {CIRCLE{s .18 b 1} SPIRAL2{s .996 x .1 r 3}}
rule SPIRAL3 {CIRCLE{s .18 b 1} SPIRAL3{s .999 x .1 r .3}}
rule SPIRAL4 {CIRCLE{s .18 b 1} SPIRAL4{s .996 x .1 r 6}}
8^)

markie

Links in CFDG program Help

Post by markie »

New gallery is perfect :P ; only thing is the "Gallery" link in the program's help-menu is not correct anymore.
Also the link to this forum is old.

btw: I use 2.1 beta-version.

markie

Suggestion for library of "Basic Shapes" in galler

Post by markie »

Maybe it's an idea to have a seperate part of the gallery for good "Basic Shapes", like shaded balls, stars, characters, 3D-cubes, etc...

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Re: Links in CFDG program Help

Post by MtnViewJohn »

markie wrote:New gallery is perfect :P ; only thing is the "Gallery" link in the program's help-menu is not correct anymore.
Also the link to this forum is old.

btw: I use 2.1 beta-version.
Thanks for telling us that. I will ask Chris to put in redirects from the old urls to the new urls.
markie wrote:Maybe it's an idea to have a seperate part of the gallery for good "Basic Shapes", like shaded balls, stars, characters, 3D-cubes, etc...
How about a general tagging feature like flickr? We could predefine some basic tags like 'basic', 'font', 'lesson', etc. and let people define new tags.