Gallery suggestion - Rating system

Let the developers know what you think of the software and what can be done to either improve the CFDG language or the Context Free program.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

sicvolo

Gallery suggestion - Rating system

Post by sicvolo »

A really valuable addition to the gallery section on this site would be an ability for the members to vote on individual submissions and see them ordered by the rating.
There are so many of submission now that shuffling through to find a real piece of art is tedious. Plus, it would encourage a healthy competition.

It is simple - a 1-5 scale, one member gets one vote for a submission, can't vote on their own pieces. It'd also make it easier picking the best ones for the next book, shall you choose to release it.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

That feature has been on the to-do list since the day the gallery went live. I guess it's now time to do it.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Here are some user stories for design ratings:
  • Users can rate other people's designs on a scale of 1 (bad), 2 (ordinary), 3(good), 4 (very good), or 5 (extraordinary/revolutionary). Users cannot rate their own designs.
  • When a user looks at a design the page lists how many users have rated that design and what the average rating is. The user sees a list-box and a 'Vote' button that lets them rate the design.
    • Should there also be a histogram of ratings?
  • The user can change their rating or withdraw their rating for a design. Withdrawing a rating causes the count of user ratings for the design to decrease by one.
  • Users can view designs sorted by rating (ascending or descending).
  • Users can see a page that lists every design that they have rated and has 'Vote' buttons for each design so that they can change their rating. Changing a rating returns the user to the ratings page.
  • Should users be able to see the ratings page of other users without the 'Vote' buttons?
  • Should users be able to see the names of all the people who have rated a design and what rating they gave?
  • Do we really want to have bad/ordinary ratings? Why not just have ratings from 1 (good) to 3 (extraordinary/revolutionary)?
Everyone, please post your own user stories for design ratings or propose changes to my user stories. Remember, in XP methodology user stories are supposed to be one or two sentences in your everyday language.

kipling

Rating - my $0.05

Post by kipling »

Nice idea. Since we have no .au $0.01 or $0.02 currency, you get $0.05-worth from me. (Roughly us$0.049 at the moment, thanks to some imploding US banks.)
(i) 1-5 (Likert) scale could be on different "axes" such as aesthetic appeal, technical merit, originality, ...
(ii) Instead of rating each image, a user could have a ranking of their favourite N designs (e.g. N=10). User who likes an image can add it to the list (e.g. drop-down menu or pop-up mini-gallery) in a particular place, at the expense of their Nth favourite. Maybe keep complete ranking via a "user page", but only top N contribute to site's ranking.
(iii) Combine (i) and (ii): each user will be able to categorise favourite N/2 image and favourite N/2 code.
(iv) Amazonify: "users who like this image/code also like...", "Users who like your design made these designs...", etc
(v) A bit of thought could go in to hardening rankings against abuse. Something like trust metrics or user ratings but more lightweight (... this is not slashdot)
(vi) How will this stack up with the ability to update images and code in the gallery?
(vii) and finally for a crazy idea that I really like but haven't quite gotten hold of: build it into the language, or from the language.

Code: Select all

startrating myrating
rule myrating{
	design:123 { }
	design:522 { aesthetic +0.1 technical -0.2}
	design:421 { newuser +0.2 }
	wizardry { technical +1 }
	crap { aesthetic -1 technical -1 originality -1}
	}
rule wizardry {
	design:2 {}
	design:555 {}
	}
rule crap {
	design:666 {}
	}
This is edited in the app, turned into rankings which are uploaded, normalised or ranked and used for the gallery ranking. The script could be edited in the browser and interpreted on the server, but you probably want to steer clear of that.

mycelium

Favorities instead of rating system

Post by mycelium »

Only my opinion.....

I really don't like the idea of voting pictures or to be voted, I think the gallery should be a collaborative place. I upload my pictures here because I feel a friendly context, not competitive.

I like very much to "shuffle" the gallery and look randomly (context freely) but a feauture I'd like is to be able to check the ones i like most and a have a list with my selection of works of the gallery (favorities). And also to browse other member favorities.

Based on favorities of every member there could be a "browse by popolarity" page.

tnx for your attention

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

I like the direction that this thread is going. Everyone would have an unlimited number of favorite designs and it would be possible to view designs sorted by popularity.

When you are looking at a design perhaps it should be possible to see who has listed it as a favorite. That way it would be possible to jump from favorite list to favorite list, seeing who has similar taste.

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

OK, here are some new user stories. Ignore the previous ones:
  • When a user views a design they can add it to their favorites or remove from their favorites. There is no limit to the number of favorites a user can have.
  • A user cannot list their own designs among their favorites
  • When you view a design you can see how many people have rated it among their favorites. There will be a link to a page that lists everyone who lists the design as a favorite.
  • A users page will list their favorites as well as their uploads.
  • You can view the gallery sorted by the popularity.

zol

Post by zol »

I was just about to chime in against ratings, but happily didn't have to.

User favorites would be part of a user's profile, in effect, using the gallery to express something about themselves in a way that's also useful to others.

Nom

Post by Nom »

Very much like Deviantart concept, which is quite popular. One good way to create "Web2.0" order :)