Stopping rendering...

Let the developers know what you think of the software and what can be done to either improve the CFDG language or the Context Free program.

Moderators: MtnViewJohn, chris, mtnviewmark

robo git

Stopping rendering...

Post by robo git »

Hi,

Sometimes (such as you realise that the CFDG isn't what you're trying to achieve) it is desirable to hard-stop rendering and not display the render, or rather, only display what is already displayed (if anything), but the current "stop" function can take ages as it collates the temp files and displays the "current" result.

Can we have a "Hard Stop" feature (in addition to the current stop) that will cause the app to stop immediately and dump the temp files?

aaronstj

Post by aaronstj »

I agree. I haven't taken the time to look deep enough into the source code, so I don't really know what the temp file does or why, but when I hit stop, I just want it to stop. And that's all.

Guigui

Post by Guigui »

I also do agree with robo git. Maybe the 'stop' button can be use for the two functions:

First, the classical (current) 'stop' when hit once;

and during the rendering, if we don't need it, a second hit will 'hard-stop'.

It will help experimentations ! :?

mtnviewmark
Site Admin

Post by mtnviewmark »

Ah - Sorry I missed this. The functionality you seek is already there!

"Stop Rendering", in the Render Menu does exactly what you want.
Shortcut key: clover-period on the Mac, escape on Win.

If you simply start editing the text, the rendering is stopped in the same way as well. So it is common for me to edit the text, type clover-R to start the rendering, and when I see it is wrong, I just continue editing. The rendering is stopped automatically.
I'm the "m" in "mtree.cfdg"

Guigui

Yeees, your're right, "m"

Post by Guigui »

I've just found the 'editing text' method last night. Good job, and thank you for your involvement :P :P :P

MtnViewJohn
Site Admin

Post by MtnViewJohn »

Actually, hitting ESC on the Windows version does a graceful stop instead of a fast stop. This is a bug. We will roll out a fix when we roll out a fix for the Render-with-dimensions display bug on the Mac version.

TheRandomDude

Post by TheRandomDude »

Although it would be nice to have a little slider that allows you to be exact in the stop time, such as how many cycles deep you want to go. I don't know how difficult that might be or rewarding, but it would be a nice little side feature to pick between 1 to infinity cycles.